[PlanetCCRMA] Re: usb audio and midi devices: loading and unloading drivers

Sun Mar 9 18:28:01 2003

> > The problem: in RedHat the usb subsystem is
> > activated very early in the boot sequence
> > (/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit). Any usb sound or midi card
> > that is plugged in while the system boots will
> > automatically load the snd-usb-midi alsa kernel
> > module (through hotplug).
>   [...]
>
> Fernando, wouldn't this also hold true for PCMCIA
> which also is in the domain of hotplug?

I guess it could also apply. Anything that is loaded by hotplug will
stop the rest of the alsa load process when the old alsasound script
runs. I guess that only becomes a problem if you have more than one
soundcard.

> Your
> explanation seems a good fit to one of the problems
> I have with that VXpocket card. I've posted it to
> alsa-users, but if I have some time this week I'd
> like to try your new alsasound script (your
> attachment, btw, seems to contain some ugly wraps
> and artifacts -- things resembling HTML tags, or
> escape sequences of some kind. ...or is it just me
> and my netescape?).

It looks fine in the email I cc'ed myself...
-- Fernando