[PlanetCCRMA] Hard drive speeds & hdparm

Mark Knecht markknecht@attbi.com
Mon Mar 17 20:42:01 2003

Fernando,
   That was sort of the conclusion I came to today. I think I'll just
wait a bit for now. I've been messing with software since Saturday
afternoon. I'd like to just cruise for a week or so and make sure this
new machine is stable.

   I'm really pretty impressed with Alsa & Jack. Even using this
on-board Via sound chip I can run at 1.3mS latency and run alsaplayer
through Jack. The only limitation I found was I had to set the number of
buffers to 4 instead of 2 like my RME. However, no xruns at all.

   Ardour came up pretty much right off the bat. I found on 8.0 that I
didn't have to do that extra ln -s step to build Ardour, so either it's
not required on 8.0, or Paul, et. all have fixed it.

   Anyway, with the addition of this machine I'll now be able to run
Linux/Alsa/Jack + Linux soft synths along side Pro Tools. Very cool!

   Thanks so much for all your help!

Cheers,
Mark