[PlanetCCRMA] setpci

Ryan Gallagher ryanpg@yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 13:13:01 2003

Mark,

I was unable to get any performance gain out of my drive with hdparm
untill I got to know setpci.

You've expressed hesitency about tweaking the pci bus but lspci -vv
might reveal the controller is getting 0 latency consideration.

You may remember from my recent post I was able to about triple
through-put.

-r

> Message: 2
> From: "Mark Knecht" <mknecht@controlnet.com>
> To: "PlanetCCRMA" <planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU>
> Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:10:05 -0800
> Subject: [PlanetCCRMA] Hard drive speeds & hdparm
>
> Hi,
>    On a new machine using the Asus A7V333-X motherboard and RH 8.0, I
> have a
> newer, faster 80GB EIDE drive. As booted, hdparm -tT /dev/hda reports
> speedy 320MB/S for buffered speeds, but only 7.5MB/S unbuffered
> speeds.
> Online people talk about approaching 45-50MB/S with this drive under
> Windows. I'd like to do that.
>
>    Unfortunately, the command from the Planet to speed a drive up
>
> /sbin/hdparm -c 3 -d 1 -m 16 -A1 /dev/hda
>
> isn't doing anything at all. Following that, the drive continues at
> 7.5MB/S.
>
>    During boot there is a message that this MB has an unrecognized
> chipset,
> which is a newer Via chipset that supports a 333MHz front side bus.
> dmesg
> also gives an email address to report it, so I did, but this MB has
> been
> around since last year, so I think this is a RH 8.0 issue, and
> probably not
> a raw Linux issue.
>
>    Anyway, using RH 8.0, does anyone know any tricks to get this
> drive &
> chipset going faster? Any apps other than hdparm to do this sort of
> thing?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

> End of PlanetCCRMA Digest