[PlanetCCRMA] Trouble with rebuilt kernel from 2.4.19-1.ll source on RH8.0

Daniel Heckenberg daniel@bogusfront.org
Thu Mar 20 21:02:01 2003

On 21/3/03 3:46 PM, "Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano"
<nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

> So the question is: why do you need to rebuild it?

I need to build some new modules for the kernel (nvidia driver, and probably
a more recent alsa than in the ccrma dist).  I was under the impression that
this would require a rebuild as the ccrma kernel binary is built with GCC
2.96.  Is this correct?

> If you need to change kernel options and want to get an modified rpm
> back then you need to (this is from memory):
>
> - rpm -Uvh kernel-2.4.19-1.ll.src.rpm
> - cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
> - rpm -bp kernel-2.4.19-1.ll.spec (prepares the source, does not build)
> - cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.4.19/linux-2.4.19/
>
> At this point the configuration files are stored in configs/, so choose
> one (i386, i686, etc) and "cp configs/kernel-2.4.19-i586.config
> .config". Run make xconfig, change options, save and copy the
> configuration back to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES, such as "cp .config
> /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/kernel-2.4.19-i586.config". After that you
> should be able to rebuild the source rpm and get what you want (but it
> would also be nice to change the release number of the package).

Thanks for these instructions.  I've just been working in the non-RPM kernel
build style.  What are the advantages of doing this in the context of RPM?
That it ensures that your rpm state accurately reflects the machine state?

> Well, maybe 2.4.19 does not like gcc3.2, I have not tried that
> combination.

Daniel