[PlanetCCRMA] Trouble with rebuilt kernel from 2.4.19-1.ll source on RH8.0

Thu Mar 20 21:31:02 2003

> > So the question is: why do you need to rebuild it?
>
> I need to build some new modules for the kernel (nvidia driver, and probably
> a more recent alsa than in the ccrma dist).  I was under the impression that
> this would require a rebuild as the ccrma kernel binary is built with GCC
> 2.96.  Is this correct?

Yes...

As for the Nvidia driver, I do have a version compiled for 2.4.19-1.ll,
you should be able to "apt-get install NVIDIA_kernel NVIDIA_GLX" (I
don't remember the exact names of the packages).

If that does not work you could try building the NVIDIA driver with the
compatibility compiler (compat-gcc).

Or you could wait a bit. The next kernel and alsa releases will be
compiled with both gcc3.2 and gcc2.96, coming to a Planet CCRMA near you
"real soon now" (current status: I'm testing a better repository
organization that simplifies the previous one, the goal is to make it
easier to choose and install the proper kernel - I do have working
2.4.20/acpi and alsa 0.9.2+ rpms).

-- Fernando