[PlanetCCRMA] Trouble with rebuilt kernel from 2.4.19-1.ll source on RH8.0

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen@notam02.no
Fri Mar 21 03:18:13 2003

On 20 Mar 2003, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> > > So the question is: why do you need to rebuild it?
> >
> > I need to build some new modules for the kernel (nvidia driver, and probably
> > a more recent alsa than in the ccrma dist).  I was under the impression that
> > this would require a rebuild as the ccrma kernel binary is built with GCC
> > 2.96.  Is this correct?
>
> Yes...
>
> As for the Nvidia driver, I do have a version compiled for 2.4.19-1.ll,
> you should be able to "apt-get install NVIDIA_kernel NVIDIA_GLX" (I
> don't remember the exact names of the packages).
>
> If that does not work you could try building the NVIDIA driver with the
> compatibility compiler (compat-gcc).
>
> Or you could wait a bit. The next kernel and alsa releases will be
> compiled with both gcc3.2 and gcc2.96, coming to a Planet CCRMA near you
> "real soon now" (current status: I'm testing a better repository
> organization that simplifies the previous one, the goal is to make it
> easier to choose and install the proper kernel - I do have working
> 2.4.20/acpi and alsa 0.9.2+ rpms).

Just a request, could you add the following patch to the kernel?
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/vulnwatch/2003-q1/0134.html

The University of Oslo require us to have this patch on our machines
before the 28th of march.

And now for another success-story. :)

At Notam in Oslo we now have 8 linux machines available for various
people working with computermusic and programming. I'm the administrator
of these machines.

One week ago, I planet-ccrma-ized the machines and
deleted the old system where the music and sound programs was
placed on a sentralized disk on a server. (except for Snd where
we need a newer version of guile, and some programs which is not
a part of planet-ccrma). I also let the machines run
"apt-get update;apt-get --assume-yes dist-upgrade >/var/log/aptlog"
each night.

And this seems to work just great so far. My job has gotten far
easier. Thank you very much for your work Fernando, planet-ccrma
works very fine. :)