[PlanetCCRMA] supercollider alternative

Torsten Anders t.anders@qub.ac.uk
Sat Mar 29 09:41:02 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 03:00, Ryan Gallagher wrote:
> Anyone familiar with supercollider will know how amazing it is...
>
> Can someone recommend me a REALTIME music (scripting) language similar
> to supercollider?

Umm... this is probably not the answer you are looking for. But, why not
giving the Max family a try (jmax, PD...). Of course they have some
drawbacks to SC (e.g. no creation of objects on the fly, no support for
OOP in the language itself, nor for functional programming etc.). On the
other hand they have advantages too compared to SC (most of all: it is
very easy to create a GUI in Max -- every patch already is its GUI too).

Other audio languages with certain aspects comparable to SC are:
Nyquist, SAOL, csound/iCsound (and CLM, as you mentioned). All these
languages offer ways to structure you code, e.g. more recent csound
supports writing new opcodes within the score. On the other hand, all of
these langs can not really be compared to SC, and real time control is
only one issue...

Anyway, if you are looking for the power of the real thing -- why not
switching to a Mac ;) SC itself is free...

Best,
Torsten

--
Torsten Anders <t.anders@qub.ac.uk>