[PlanetCCRMA] apt-get of muse- some advise to new recruits

andy gallag andy_95030@yahoo.com
Sat Mar 29 12:27:01 2003

Hi
after a rebuild i realized with the old disc image i
was running was a debian version of synaptic - not
sure if this caused problems, in conjunction with my
mucking around ..
now i am generic wrt apt and synaptic and working fine
thanks Fernando !

-- anyone new to linux and interested read on if you
have the time---

as it turns out i just spent the last 2 hrs rebuilding
my machine (again) the second time in a few months and
all due to my learning experience- some thoughts for
those who are new to linux  ;^)

1) never do a --force of an rpm ever! unless you have
like 5-10 years under your belt. take the warnings to
heart
2) do not do a  "rm" as su ever ! (same advice as #1
re:experience)
i had just suceeded in getting ardour working and did
my first  recording-  and then lost it all in trying
to delete some stray files not relating to ardour -
good news is the levels were horrendous anyway :)
---never do *anything* as superuser unless you have
to-
.....take the advise from the pros
3) paths are important- if you have a problem with
something not foundwhile compiling or running - do an
"echo $xx" where someone smarter than you  said to set
"xx" to a certain string- remember setting the
variable is not perpetual -you will need to do it
again on the next session, also an "export xx" is
often needed
4) pay attention to every message and if you get ^any^
type of error or warning --pay attention to it- it may
save you time in the longrun
5) keep on trying- there are alot of generous people
online willing to help
thx
-andy

--- Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano