[PlanetCCRMA] xruns

Alex Timmer mijn_troep@yahoo.com
Wed Oct 1 08:23:01 2003

 --- Mark Knecht <mknecht@controlnet.com> wrote: >

> > > but it always does so with a message of:
> > >  **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.088 (or so) seconds.
> > > and, stupid me, i didn't even realize that that was an error
> message,
> >
> > An xrun is either an overrun or underrun, where the computer cant
> keep up
> > with the kernel. You'l hear it as a click or pop if theres any
> audio
> > playing.
> >
> > If you see one after you first start jack, then thats normal -
> its only a
> > problem if they occur while your actually using it.
> >
> > - Steve
>
> It seems to me that Jack could be a bit more user friendly and just
> not
> report xruns for the first second (or pick whatever time - the
> first 100
> frames) it starts running. No one (at least I think this is true)
> is going
> to depend on audio being transferred that fast as you still have to
> start up
> your Jack apps, etc.
>
> Is this a reasonable request to make of the Jack Developers?
>
> Or maybe qjackctl could just eliminate that message to make new
> users feel
> more comfortable?
>
> Just a thought.
>
> - Mark

hi Mark,
you were not the onlyone thinking this, and these both suggestions
have been talked about on the JACK list recently. iirc the first xrun
will not show up anymore in the latest JACK version. can anyone
confirm please (i'm not subscribed to jackit-dev).

for those of us who only use CDROM based CCRMA distro this feature
will obviously still be there for a while. i got used to it by now :)
gr, ALEX