[PlanetCCRMA] More dumbness from Aaron about planet kernel/alsa

kevin ernste kevine@esm.rochester.edu
Wed Oct 1 11:34:01 2003

> > /boot directly, but this is the one area where I have seen little
> > issues when messing with kernel rpm's.
>
> I only vaguely understand this - how do I do it?

Sorry, my bad.

There are usually "soft links" in /boot pointing to the most recent
compressed kernel "vmlinuz", "System.map", and "module-info".  For
example:

module-info -> module-info-2.4.22-1.ll
System.map -> System.map-2.4.22-1.ll
vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.ll

Sometimes when you remove the newest kernel these get screwed up,
usually because the file they once pointed to is no longer there.  Once
you have everything squared away, the kernel you want cleany installed,
et, you may want to make sure the soft links are OK, pointing to the
newest.  Again, this will not make much difference anyway since
grub.conf usually ignores these soft links anyways and just goes
directly to the appropriate files.

Kevin