[PlanetCCRMA] xruns

Jonathan Segel jsegel@magneticmotorworks.com
Wed Oct 1 18:23:01 2003

>1.4.  What's an xrun?
>
>It's a generic term used to describe a situation where the software
>did not keep up with the hardware, either by feeding it data, or by
>collecting data from it.

thanks! couldn't find that for whatever reason. improper googling i guess.
but after the rest of this discussion i guess that isn't the problem
either, as it only shows up on jack's boot. (...eew..)

>If you're haven't read
>http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/resourceslatency.php3,
>then your system is probably misconfigured.

at this point i don't think it's the system software parts. i'm just
trying to get a stereo sound out cleanly!
  i have been reading alot - most of the time that i should be making
music - and this computer (actually not the one i am typing on now)
is a 2.4ghz P4 on a VIA mainboard with 768 MB ram, which seems fully
capable. i installed the redhat planet-ccrma w/ capabilities
ensconced, 2.4.20-20.1.caps.rh90. alsa has the proper drivers for the
VIA82xx built-in sound and midi, the .asoundrc file is to that
hardware, lsmod looks good, everything works, but the sound coming
out is messed up with (cyclic, i believe) digital clicks and pops.
almost tremelo! i've tried to configure all the things i can that i
have read, (kernel, alsa, hdparm) - what's left is irq? - but i can't
see how to change it. it seems to reside on IRQ 5 alongside the usb
ports. i cannot physically move the sound card, it's built in. it has
stereo mini-plugs i/o + line out plus spdif rca and optical. if i do
lspci -vvv, while every other bus shows a line that states its
latency (32 in most cases) the audio card does not have this line
(??).

actually i haven't tried the spdif outs yet .. hmmm..

>You can test your setup with the latencytest tool, available at
>http://www.linuxdj.com .

couldn't make this. liblatencygraph.a  has an undefined reference to
gdImageGif   and it quits out its making.

whine whine whine, all i do is whine. thanks for help of any sort,
lest i appear ungrateful for all the work to get me as far as i am
now.

Jonathan Segel  -- MAGNETIC -- PO Box 460816 S.F. CA. 94146-0816
               4014 Brookdale Ave. Oakland, CA 94619
   jsegel@magneticmotorworks.com <-----> magsatellite@yahoo.com
                http://www.MagneticMotorworks.com
    tel (510) 534 7825  cell (510) 484 7415  fax (425) 955 4495