[PlanetCCRMA] xruns

foltra@terra.cl foltra@terra.cl
Thu Oct 2 11:19:01 2003

Hi, Jonathan

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003, Jonathan Segel wrote:

> >1.4.  What's an xrun?
> >
> >It's a generic term used to describe a situation where the software
> >did not keep up with the hardware, either by feeding it data, or by
> >collecting data from it.
>
> thanks! couldn't find that for whatever reason. improper googling i guess.
> but after the rest of this discussion i guess that isn't the problem
> either, as it only shows up on jack's boot. (...eew..)
>

> >If you're haven't read
> >http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/resourceslatency.php3,
> >then your system is probably misconfigured.
> >

> at this point i don't think it's the system software parts. i'm just
> trying to get a stereo sound out cleanly!
>  i have been reading alot - most of the time that i should be making
> music - and this computer (actually not the one i am typing on now)
> is a 2.4ghz P4 on a VIA mainboard with 768 MB ram, which seems fully
> capable. i installed the redhat planet-ccrma w/ capabilities
> ensconced, 2.4.20-20.1.caps.rh90. alsa has the proper drivers for the
> VIA82xx built-in sound and midi, the .asoundrc file is to that
> hardware, lsmod looks good, everything works, but the sound coming
> out is messed up with (cyclic, i believe) digital clicks and pops.
> almost tremelo! i've tried to configure all the things i can that i
> have read, (kernel, alsa, hdparm) - what's left is irq? - but i can't
> see how to change it. it seems to reside on IRQ 5 alongside the usb
> ports. i cannot physically move the sound card, it's built in. it has
> stereo mini-plugs i/o + line out plus spdif rca and optical. if i do
> lspci -vvv, while every other bus shows a line that states its
> latency (32 in most cases) the audio card does not have this line
> (??).
This is for sure you're problem, shared irq between soundcard and usb,
You should be able to set the irq of the soundchip on the bios setup.
Also irq 5 is a low priority irq (so it's says on jan's excelent guide).
Else you can forget about the via chip, it's crappy anyway.

> actually i haven't tried the spdif outs yet .. hmmm..
>

> >You can test your setup with the latencytest tool, available at
> >http://www.linuxdj.com .
>
> couldn't make this. liblatencygraph.a  has an undefined reference to
> gdImageGif   and it quits out its making.
Newer versions of libgd doesn't support gifs due to freedom restrictions :)
you can try searching for the old libgd, but i don't think it's
worth the effort. Just fix  your setup.

I had irq problems after upgrading to kernel 2.4.22 (planetccrma),
with the nic usb and my DSP24 on irq 5, fixed it by setting the
pci irq to 9 for the dsp24, and boot with option acpi=off.
Now i'm happy. Sorry for the *personal experience plug* :)