[PlanetCCRMA] Re: HDSP 9652 Report

Mark Knecht markknecht@comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 16:29:00 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 16:20, Aaron Trumm wrote:
> SUCCESS!
>
> With much help from Mark and Fernando, my hdsp 9652 is showing up so far so
> good!

Great news!! A fellow trouble maker to help me out now! ;-)

> I ran the binary that Mark sent me of hdspmixer 1.3 and that seems to be
> working.

Cool.

> I ended up using a .src.rpm of the alsa-driver and alsa-kernel packages that
> fernando sent me, which already applies the 9652 patch.
>
> BUT, the tarball you sent me, Mark, of hdspmixer1.3, still won't build.
> doesn't matter much, your binary seems to work, but for academics' sake I
> still wonder what up.

OK, so we can work on that, but frankly, if Thomas would get the code
into alsa-tools, or if I gave the tarball to Fernando and he put it in
his copy for now, either way would work.

> Tests I have done include sending a tone from my mixer out - hdspmixer saw the
> tone -  3 dbs lower than I expected - don't know why that is, but it may not
> be an actual "problem" rather than a "feature" to do with the board or
> SOMETHING

Please check the level meter setup in hdspmixer. It's in the menu.
(Upper left.) There's a RMS + 3db setting or something like that. Maybe
that will help. (Or maybe you'll be off by 6db. ;-)

> then I did my old open up ardour trick, and tracks assigned to the proper
> channels just fine :)  - I was even able to route to the spdif outs and see
> what I expected - always a bit quieter than I expect, by 3dbs - ?  oh well,
> easily corrected by boosting the playback fader, I see :)
>
> hdspmixer confused me for a second.  it took me a second to figure out that
> you click on the black selector, and that's just a universal selector, and
> you select, for example, adat 1, 1&2, and you are then assigning whatever you
> want to that output my moving faders - that was crazy at first, but now I see
> how incredibly powerful and flexible that is.

It is amazingly powerful. You are routing something like 1500 hookups in
this card. That's a lot to keep track of. There other thing that a bit
weird at first is how it drops check marks when you go to zero, but
that's the way it works.

Also, check out using Ctrl when moving a fader, or shift when moving a
fader, and definitely right clicking and moving a fader. All very
helpful.