[PlanetCCRMA] Echo Mia - Alsa Drivers

Eli Cantu eli@then7.com
Wed Oct 8 23:50:02 2003

Quoting Aaron Trumm <aaron@nquit.com>:

> > I'm out of my league at this point, but I thought I could do something
> like...
> > Take CCRMA's Alsa-driver source rpms, open them up, patch them with the
> > EchoaudioPatch_0.9.6.patch(from linked web site), then rebuild the RPM?
> Then
> > rpm -e --nodeps the original or possibly just rpm -Uvh over the top.
>
> sounds about right to me
>
> that's pretty much exactly what I just did.  I'm using all planet flow and
> there was a driver for my card, but it needed a patch to work, and I did
> exactly what you just said.  - there was a bit of hulabaloo around the other
> version of the driver, but eventually with fernando and mark's help I got it
> working.
>
> just get the source rpm, install it, get the .spec file, add the patch
> (sounds like you know how to do that - right?), rebuild
>
> the only thing I can think of is you need to make sure your rebuild is for
> the right architechture - I had some trouble with that - check out
> http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/recompilealsa.html  for
> more on doing this stuff  - except that there's an instruction in there
> about how to check the architecture flag in the kernel rpm and I never could
> get it to work - fernando gave me another version of the command and THAT
> didn't work either, and finally, fernando told me to do
>
> rpm -q --provides <kernel_name>
>
> I hope that's the right syntax...
>
> that'll give you an output that'll reveal the architecture and you can
> rpmbuild -ba --target <arch_name>  <rpm_name>
>
> I think if all goes well that's all you need to do.  I'm sure fernando and
> mark will chime in if I'm forgetting something (geeze it's only been a
> couple days *laugh*) - and of course let us know how it goes :)

WOO HOO!
Houston Control, we are good to go.

Thanks Nando, Aaron & pochini@shiny.it(echo driver)

Ok, enough of the celebration. I've got sound...man this card(echo mia) makes my
sblive sound like cats scratching chalkboards.

One issue that is tops now is apt reports dependency problem. I think this is
because the rpm that I built has a different name then the original one. Here's
the error:

#error begin
planetccrma-core:
Depends:alsa-kernel-arch-2.4.22-6.ll.rh90(=0.9.6-2.cvs.rh90-athlon)
       Depends: alsa-driver (= 0.9.6-2.cvs.rh90) but 0.9.6-2.cvs is installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
#error end

Here's what I did:

#rough steps i took begin

download alsa-driver source rpm from ccrma.

install it.

extract source tree from alsa-driver source file.

download 2 echo-audio files.
(from:http://space.virgilio.it/g_pochini@virgilio.it/ea.html)

incorporate echo-audio source trees into alsa-driver source tree. (per link
above)

patch alsa-driver with echo-patch.(per link above)

recompress the alsa-driver tree (patched, and with echo tree additions) back
into a single tar.bz2 file.

replace the original alsa-driver-src.tar.bz2 with my newly made one.

build my new rpms using "rpmbuild -bb --target athlon --define "cards echoaudio"
alsa-driver-0.9.6-2.cvs.spec" per ccrma index, and the link above.

removed my originally installed alsa-kernel and alsa-driver using "rpm -e
--nodeps"

installed my new alsa-kernel and new alsa-driver.

edited my modules.conf according to ccrma and alsa info.

modprobe snd-echoaudio & "/etc/init.d/alsasound status" (no errors
reported,alsasound status reported "started")

supposed to unmute according to everyone, tried all sorts of syntax with amixer,
like  "amixer set PCM 0 unmute", no matter, what I kept getting: "Unknown
playback setup 'unmute'.."

decide to try sound anyhow.  tested audio via winamp/shoutcast.

success! (finessed volumes with alsamixer)

#rough steps i took end

I need to get my apt dependency error fixed, because I cannot download
applications automatically from ccrma until it is fixed.

I'm new to ccrma (just found it last weekend), so I have lots of stuff to play
with.

Thanks again for the great site(ccrma/nando), thanks for suggestions aaron(the
arch was easy to find per your directions), and thanks pochini@shiny.it for the
echo driver/directions!

-Eli