[PlanetCCRMA] SCSI Scanner w/2.4.21-1.ll.acpi kernel

Barton Bosch barton_bosch@eudoramail.com
Thu Oct 9 19:57:01 2003

I am trying to use my scanner on my Planet partition, and while kudzu found the SCSI card and the scanner, it didn't set things up so that both of the necessary SCSI modules are loaded at boot time.

A portion of dmesg shows this:

[barton@localhost barton]$ dmesg
<snip>
scsi1: <fdomain> No BIOS; using scsi id 7
scsi1: <fdomain> TMC-36C70 (PCI bus) chip at 0x1030 irq 9
scsi1 : Future Domain 16-bit SCSI Driver Version 5.50
    ACPI-0286: *** Error: No installed handler for fixed event [00000000]
  Vendor: UMAX      Model: Vista-S6E         Rev: V1.6
  Type:   Scanner                            ANSI SCSI revision: 02
scsi : 1 host left.
<snip>

Is the "ACPI-0286: *** Error: No installed handler for fixed event [00000000]" line anything to worry about if I use the scanner by modprobing fdomain by hand?  Will it go away if the system is configured to load the fdomain and sg modules at boot time, or does the message refer to something else?

When I boot the plain Red Hat 2.4.18-14 kernel the event handler message doesn't show up, but it also doesn't load the sg module leaving two modules to be loaded by hand.

Does anyone know off the top of their heads what I would add to my /etc/modules.conf to get the fdomain and sg modules to load when the 2.4.21-1.ll.acpi kernel is booted?  The content of /etc/modules.conf is as below.  ...

[root@localhost barton]# cat /etc/modules.conf
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 0.9.0 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-ymfpci
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd major=116 cards_limit=1
options snd-ymfpci index=0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

alias scsi_hostadapter fdomain

I've just noticed that the last line mentions fdomain, but it must need something more to load at boot time.

Thanks,

Barton

Check out the new EudoraMail at
http://www.eudoramail.com