[PlanetCCRMA] SCSI Scanner w/2.4.21-1.ll.acpi kernel

Fri Oct 10 13:20:02 2003

> I am trying to use my scanner on my Planet partition, and while kudzu found
> the SCSI card and the scanner, it didn't set things up so that both of the
> necessary SCSI modules are loaded at boot time.
>
> A portion of dmesg shows this:
>
> [barton@localhost barton]$ dmesg
> <snip>
> scsi1: <fdomain> No BIOS; using scsi id 7
> scsi1: <fdomain> TMC-36C70 (PCI bus) chip at 0x1030 irq 9
> scsi1 : Future Domain 16-bit SCSI Driver Version 5.50
>     ACPI-0286: *** Error: No installed handler for fixed event [00000000]
>   Vendor: UMAX      Model: Vista-S6E         Rev: V1.6
>   Type:   Scanner                            ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> scsi : 1 host left.
> <snip>
>
> Is the "ACPI-0286: *** Error: No installed handler for fixed event [00000000]"
> line anything to worry about if I use the scanner by modprobing
> fdomain by hand?  Will it go away if the system is configured to load
> the fdomain and sg modules at boot time, or does the message refer to
> something else?

Probably some ACPI thing, I would say ignore it...

> When I boot the plain Red Hat 2.4.18-14 kernel the event handler message doesn't
> show up, but it also doesn't load the sg module leaving two modules to be loaded
> by hand.

If I understand correctly it works with one kernel and does not work
with another, right?

If you need a module while the kernel is booting it has to be included
in the initrd boot image, that's done at kernel install time (and I
guess also by kudzu) by scanning /etc/modules.conf and (I guess) other
places. If you got the thing working first on one kernel then the other
does not know about the new required modules because kudzu thinks
everything is fine. You have to rebuild the initrd image on the second
kernel by hand:

  mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-2.4.18-14.img 2.4.18-14

(check /boot for the right name and version of the initrd image).
That should generate a new initrd that should include the new required
kernel module and the boot should be again happy.

-- Fernando