[PlanetCCRMA] updated: planetedge alsa packages for redhat 9

Tue Oct 28 15:28:19 2003

Hi all. New ALSA packages for RedHat 9 are available on the planetedge
repository. They are today's cvs, version 0.9.8 and in addition to being
much newer than the current Planet CCRMA version they fix the build
architecture problem for i386 and i586 architectures (or so I think :-)

To install the new packages add (temporarily) the following line to your
/etc/apt/sources.list (all in one line):

rpm http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt redhat/9/en/i386
planetedge

Then do:
  apt-get update
and:
  apt-get install planetccrma-core
(or *core-smp or *core-redhat or *core-redhat-smp according to the
kernel or kernels you have installed).

That should install the newer ALSA packages... restart the alsa driver:
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound stop
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start
and keep your fingers crossed :-)

You may see alsactl error messages when you restart the alsa driver.
Those are usually the result of internal mixer controls that have
changed name or location. If that happens fire up alsamixer, check that
the configuration is as you like it for your card or cards and then save
it by doing a "/usr/sbin/alsactl store". Subsequent restarts of ALSA
should not show any error messages.

If you are using RedHat 8.0 or 7.3 and would like to test drive the new
packages let me know and I'll generate rpms for them.

Let me know how it goes...
Enjoy!
-- Fernando