[PlanetCCRMA] gtkmm update

Wed Oct 29 17:58:01 2003

> I studying a little C++ for use in making a simple application or two.  I would like
> to use the latest stable gtkmm (2.2.0) to make some guis on my Planet 8.0 box, but
> as far as I can tell from Synaptic and the Planet site gtkmm v1.2 is the version
> included in the repositories.  Is 1.2 the most recent version of gtkmm that has
> been packaged for Planet CCRMA 8.0?

That's correct. Funny you should ask, I've been working today on
updating those libraries to newer versions.

> Is it possible to install both gtkmm 1.2 and 2.2?  If not, would it break any
> other packages to remove 1.2 and install 2.2?  IIRC, gtkmm 2.2's dependencies
> (libsigc++ 1.2, GTK+ 2.0) are already installed, so I would assume that this
> wouldn't be a problem.

It is not a problem, but it is not possible to do this on stock redhat
8.0 (without a lot of work), the glib and gtk packages that are needed
by gtkmm 2.2 are newer than the ones provided in 8.0. RedHat 9 does not
have that problem.

This is the error from the configure process (for gtkmm 2.2.3):

checking for sigc++-1.2 >= 1.2.0 glib-2.0 >= 2.2.0 gobject-2.0 >= 2.2.0
gmodule-2.0 >= 2.2.0... Requested 'glib-2.0 >= 2.2.0' but version of
GLib is 2.0.6

And to answer your next question, no, I'm not going to try upgrading
glib in 8.0 to a newer version :-) That sort of change usually triggers
a very long cascade of upgrades due to dependencies...

> And if I end up removing the gtkmm 1.2 package and installing 2.2 from source,
> is there anything I should do to minimize potential apt/synaptic/dependency
> problems down the road?

If you remove the 1.2 package you would need to also remove the
applications that depend on it to keep the rpm database in good shape.

-- Fernando