[PlanetCCRMA] very strange alsa, no jack

mike@banta.psyc.missouri.edu mike@banta.psyc.missouri.edu
Wed Apr 7 10:52:01 2004

On 7 Apr 2004, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> Check the ownership of the fifo files in /var/lib/jack/tmp/*, maybe you
> tried running as root and there are lefover files with the wrong
> permission? Try starting jackstart with the -v option so that we can see
> more stuff...

You're absolutely correct.  I deleted them, then ran as user which created
newly owned ones, but this is what jackd -v -d alsa returns:

registered builtin port type 32 bit float mono audio
required capabilities not available
capabilities: =i
new client: alsa_pcm, id = 1 type 1 @ 0x8057c90 fd = -1
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|rt|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
new buffer size 1024
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_1, offset = 4096
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_2, offset = 8192
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_1, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_2, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_3, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_4, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_5, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_6, offset = 0
++ jack_rechain_graph():
client alsa_pcm: internal client, execution_order=0.
-- jack_rechain_graph()
7184 waiting for signals

required capabilities not available??? Is this because I'm not using the
real low-latency kernel?  Even though it says 'waiting for signals', when
I try to start something with a jack output, it says it can't find it.

> > Besides my Line in/out switch up, the mixer controls that effect my sound
> > are: PCM, SURROUND, Line-In, and Duplicate.  Mutting the master has no
> > effect...and I only have stereo sound comming from an i810 chip, not
> > surround!
>
> What are you using to feed surround sound to your setup?

I may be confused, but, I don't have anything 'surround' related.  It's a
new stock box, which only has stereo in/out jacks, so I can't imagine
there is any hard or software that would be telling alsa to do this stuff.
There are, however, duplicated audio in and mic ports (one in back and one in
front) but it's a real cheap box, so I assumed that were hardwired into
the same input/ A/D converter.

Thanks for the help, sorry if I'm missing something stupid!
mike