[PlanetCCRMA] very strange alsa, no jack

Wed Apr 7 10:33:01 2004

> I've recently installed the ccrma redhat kernel (the real one wouldn't
> boot), and configured everything as listed.  Alsa configured fine, but it
> took me a few day to figure out that the LINE OUT had now become my LINE
> IN, so my speakers are connected to the OUT.
>
> XMMS plays with the OSS output, the alsa plugin gives much noise.  But
> jack will not start at all.  The messages in qjackctl read:

> apparent rate = 48000
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|rt|32bit
> control device hw:0
> configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
> Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
> Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
> Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
> 20:49:38.327 Could not connect to JACK server as client.
> 20:49:39.453 JACK is stopping...
> 20:49:39.455 JACK was stopped successfully.

Check the ownership of the fifo files in /var/lib/jack/tmp/*, maybe you
tried running as root and there are lefover files with the wrong
permission? Try starting jackstart with the -v option so that we can see
more stuff...

> Besides my Line in/out switch up, the mixer controls that effect my sound
> are: PCM, SURROUND, Line-In, and Duplicate.  Mutting the master has no
> effect...and I only have stereo sound comming from an i810 chip, not
> surround!

What are you using to feed surround sound to your setup?

> Could these problems be related to jack?

Probably not.

> Could alsa be routing everthing in some absurd manner?

It could be... :-(
-- Fernando