[PlanetCCRMA] very strange alsa, no jack

mike@banta.psyc.missouri.edu mike@banta.psyc.missouri.edu
Wed Apr 7 12:26:01 2004

On 7 Apr 2004, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> What I meant is, you login as user xxx and then run both jack and the
> client there, without doing a "su root" for anything.
sure, everything as the same user...

> > > What kernel are you booted in? ("uname -r" to find out). Capabilities
> > > are enabled in both Planet CCRMA kernels...
> > $ uname -r
> > 2.4.20-28.1.caps.rh90.ccrma
>
> Then you should be fine. Try adding the "-R" flag to the jackstart
> invocation to see if you go into realtime priority or not.

Running this command kills jack after a few seconds, which was my original
problem in qjackctl (before I created root-owned tmp files).  If this
complicated...leave me to fend for myself..I can't thank you enough for
all your help so far.

jackstart -v -R -d alsa
back from read, ret = 1 errno == Success
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_alsa.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_dummy.so
jackd 0.94.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

registered builtin port type 32 bit float mono audio
capabilities: =i cap_setpcap,cap_ipc_lock,cap_sys_nice,cap_sys_resource+ep
new client: alsa_pcm, id = 1 type 1 @ 0x8057cd0 fd = -1
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|rt|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
new buffer size 1024
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_1, offset = 4096
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_2, offset = 8192
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_1, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_2, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_3, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_4, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_5, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_6, offset = 0
++ jack_rechain_graph():
client alsa_pcm: internal client, execution_order=0.
-- jack_rechain_graph()
7266 waiting for signals
jackd watchdog: timeout - killing jackd
Aborted

I've tried different bitrate, periods, buffer sizes. Any other frequency
tells me there is a conflict between jack's freq. and the set (?) one

thanks