[PlanetCCRMA] very strange alsa, no jack

Wed Apr 7 14:25:02 2004

> > > $ uname -r
> > > 2.4.20-28.1.caps.rh90.ccrma
> >
> > Then you should be fine. Try adding the "-R" flag to the jackstart
> > invocation to see if you go into realtime priority or not.
> >
> Running this command kills jack after a few seconds, which was my original
> problem in qjackctl (before I created root-owned tmp files).  If this
> complicated...leave me to fend for myself..I can't thank you enough for
> all your help so far.
>
> jackstart -v -R -d alsa
> back from read, ret = 1 errno == Success
> getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_alsa.so
> getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_dummy.so
> jackd 0.94.0
> Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
> registered builtin port type 32 bit float mono audio
> capabilities: =i cap_setpcap,cap_ipc_lock,cap_sys_nice,cap_sys_resource+ep
> new client: alsa_pcm, id = 1 type 1 @ 0x8057cd0 fd = -1
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|rt|32bit
> control device hw:0
> configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
> Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
> Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
> Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
> new buffer size 1024
> registered port alsa_pcm:capture_1, offset = 4096
> registered port alsa_pcm:capture_2, offset = 8192
> registered port alsa_pcm:playback_1, offset = 0
> registered port alsa_pcm:playback_2, offset = 0
> registered port alsa_pcm:playback_3, offset = 0
> registered port alsa_pcm:playback_4, offset = 0
> registered port alsa_pcm:playback_5, offset = 0
> registered port alsa_pcm:playback_6, offset = 0
> ++ jack_rechain_graph():
> client alsa_pcm: internal client, execution_order=0.
> -- jack_rechain_graph()
> 7266 waiting for signals
> jackd watchdog: timeout - killing jackd
> Aborted

I would use test with something other than jack that uses alsa, for
example playing a wav file with aplay.

> I've tried different bitrate, periods, buffer sizes. Any other frequency
> tells me there is a conflict between jack's freq. and the set (?) one

Then you have a card that can only do 48KHz. The only thing I can think
off is that the card interrupts are not routed properly and basically
alsa is not really working at all. Jack seems to be happy about the card
but is getting stuck and then Jack's watchdog process kicks in and
terminates the whole thing.

-- Fernando