[PlanetCCRMA] very strange alsa, no jack

Wed Apr 7 14:59:01 2004

> > I would use test with something other than jack that uses alsa, for
> > example playing a wav file with aplay.
> Aplay plays a wav just fine, so does XMMS with stream or CD.
> >
> > > I've tried different bitrate, periods, buffer sizes. Any other frequency
> > > tells me there is a conflict between jack's freq. and the set (?) one
> >
> > Then you have a card that can only do 48KHz. The only thing I can think
> > off is that the card interrupts are not routed properly and basically
> > alsa is not really working at all. Jack seems to be happy about the card
> > but is getting stuck and then Jack's watchdog process kicks in and
> > terminates the whole thing.
> >
> QJACKQTL will run in playback or capture with only a few xruns, but duplex
> makes them go until this comes up:
> jackd watchdog: timeout - killing jackd
> zombified - calling shutdown handler
> cannot send request type 7 to server
> cannot read result for request type 7 from server (Broken pipe)
>
> I have an i810, and duplex should work with this and ALSA.  Frenando,
> you've been of great help and patience, if the answer isn't obvious to
> you, I may as well get a good card anyway right?

One more thing you could try if you are up to it is installing a newer
kernel and alsa that I should have released a while ago but is still in
the "planetedge" staging area. You need to (temporarily) add another url
to your /etc/apt/sources.list, copy the one that says planetcore and
replace planetcore with planetedge. Then reinstall the kernel and alsa
according to the instructions, you will get a newer version of both (you
do not need to reconfigure alsa). Maybe the newer alsa will have that
problem fixed.

-- Fernando