[PlanetCCRMA] Problem installing Karma kernel :-/

Wed Apr 14 10:07:01 2004

> > > The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> > >   planetccrma-core: Depends: alsa-driver (=
> > > 1.0.1-1.cvs.rhfc1.ccrma) but 1.0.2c-1.fr is to be installed
> > >                     Depends: alsa-lib (= 1.0.1-1.cvs.rhfc1.ccrma)
> > > but 1.0.2-2.fr is to be installed
> > >                     Depends: alsa-lib-devel (=
> > > 1.0.1-1.cvs.rhfc1.ccrma) but 1.0.2-2.fr is to be installed
> > >                     Depends: alsa-utils (= 1.0.1-1.cvs.rhfc1.ccrma)
> > > but 1.0.2-1.fr is to be installed
> > > E: Broken packages
> > >
> > > Argh! :-) Do I get this wrong, or are the alsa packages I seem to
> > > get from elsewhere (that would be freshrpms.net, since I have only
> > > 2 sources in /etc/apt/sources.list) more recent than the ones CCRMA
> > > seems to provide?
> >
> > Yes, that is correct. It should be possible to make the ccrma
> > repository to have higher priority than the freshrpms repository
> > (from the point of view of apt) so that the older version gets
> > chosen. I'll lookup the correct syntax later today...
>
> No need to; I'll skim through, IIRC, man apt_preferences myself. :-)

It is something called "pinning".

> Being a CCRMA newbie (and Fedora newbie too, for that matter), I
> just wasn't sure whether I should be able to mix the repositories or
> not, and if that should be no problem, why the upgrade wouldn't work
> out.
>
> Thanks for your assuring reply,

Sure, in principle it should be possible to mix repositories, but I
don't really have the time to test compatibility. One way out
(temporary) would be to comment out freshrpms in sources.list, install
the Planet CCRMA kernel and sound drivers and then reenable it. As long
as you don't try to dist-upgrade after that you should be able to go on.

-- Fernando