[PlanetCCRMA] Kernel Patch Set Request

Sun Aug 1 21:50:02 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 20:52, Tom Burdick wrote:
> Fernando, I was wondering if there would be some way to get the patch
> set for your 2.4.26 ccrma smp kernel from you somehow, I'd really like
> to compile my own kernel, but I'm having difficulty getting certain
> patches to work right, for some reason I get kernel panics. The only
> thing I changed from a working config was adding the low latency, pre
> empt, and enabling capabilities in my kernel. I used the latest patches
> from each (didn't look like any were 2.4.26...) Well thanks a bunch in
> advance :-)

The patches are part of the source rpm of the kernel (the .src.rpm
package, not the kernel-source "binary" package). You can download it
from the link that is part of the "System Stuff" page in Planet CCRMA.
Once you have it you can install it with "rpm -Uvh kernel-xxx.src.rpm".
All sources will be stored in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES, the spec file
that controls the build process will be in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS.

That spec file will have all the references to the patches (search for
"patch", there are two references for each patch, the first links a
particular patch with a file, the second "applies" it in the proper
order).

You can, if you want, "prepare" the kernel up to the point were things
are going to be compiled by saying:
  rpmbuild -bp kernel-x.spec
(x is the version of the kernel).

That will unpack the sources and apply all the patches (and stop there).
The build tree can be found at /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-x/linux-x.

-- Fernando