[PlanetCCRMA] Using the planet with ordinary fedora kernel...

Wed Aug 4 18:55:02 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 05:50, rodney wrote:
> 	  I may need to use the regular fedora core 1 kernel to maintain
> compatability with some other stuffwe are using for video etc. Is it still
> possible to use apt with the planet collection, or are they all specific to
> the planet kernel?

It is possible, provided you have ALSA installed for your other kernel.
Almost all the apps in Planet CCRMA require ALSA to be installed, and
properly configured if you want them to be useful for anything.

> Is that a realistic option?

Yes. I do not provide ALSA kernel modules for the standard Fedora Core 1
kernels but other repositories do. Check Freshrpms, Dag and Atrpms, I
think they have ALSA kernel modules for the standard kernels. If you
manage to get the proper ALSA kernel module installed and have alsa-lib
installed then Planet CCRMA packages should install...

> I am mainly using midi rather than generating audio on my linux box. It is
> processing video, then feeding midi out from pd to an external synth.
>
> I promise I will try it all with the planet kernel first! :)

-- Fernando