[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Using the planet with ordinary fedora kernel...

Axel Thimm planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Thu Aug 5 11:46:02 2004

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 06:54:28PM -0700, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrot=
e:
> On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 05:50, rodney wrote:
> > 	  I may need to use the regular fedora core 1 kernel to maintain
> > compatability with some other stuffwe are using for video etc. Is it st=
ill
> > possible to use apt with the planet collection, or are they all specifi=
c to
> > the planet kernel?=20
>=20
> It is possible, provided you have ALSA installed for your other kernel.
> Almost all the apps in Planet CCRMA require ALSA to be installed, and
> properly configured if you want them to be useful for anything.=20
>=20
> > Is that a realistic option?
>=20
> Yes. I do not provide ALSA kernel modules for the standard Fedora Core 1
> kernels but other repositories do. Check Freshrpms, Dag and Atrpms, I
> think they have ALSA kernel modules for the standard kernels. If you
> manage to get the proper ALSA kernel module installed and have alsa-lib
> installed then Planet CCRMA packages should install...

That's true, but I would suggest a more aggressive schedule, what is
missing in PlanetCCRMA's kernel? Support for v4l2/ivtv etc for
PlanetCCRMA's kernel can be found at ATrpms (check for
kernel-module-<foo>-2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma-* packages).

> > I am mainly using midi rather than generating audio on my linux box. It=
 is
> > processing video, then feeding midi out from pd to an external synth.
> >=20
> > I promise I will try it all with the planet kernel first! :)

Do so, I don't think you will find anything missing.
--=20
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd--