[PlanetCCRMA] Audio CD burning

Tim Churchill tchurchill@omne.uk.net
Tue Aug 10 09:10:02 2004

Hi Folks,

I started experimenting with Linux in Feb this year and have recently
installed the Planet CCRMA Fedora Core 1 kernel with a selection of
audio software, and have a few questions.

1) Why does the installation of the Alsa drivers ask "Do you want to
modify the configuration file?"? I felt that the natural answer was
"No, I don't" because I expected the installation system to do that.
After a week of messing around with only OSS I tried selecting "Yes"
and found that it then did the configuration itself. I now understand
the meaning behind the question, but I don't think it is at all
obvious when new to the game.

2) Is it possible to make XCD Roast burn audio CDs from wav files on
the hard drive, and if so, how?

3) If the answer to question 2 is no, is there any reason that K3b
cannot be used? I've looked back through the archive and can find no
mention of it.

4) What sound card will give Linux drivers, and enable me to have
SPDIF in and out with Analogue sound in and out and professional
sound quality? It looks as if RME are the only business to give full
support to Linux, but I have seen emails from people having trouble
with even their cards. Are RME's Linux drivers reliable?

Many thanks for a Linux set up that actually works with sound.

Tim Churchill