[PlanetCCRMA] Audio CD burning

Tue Aug 10 09:53:00 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 09:12, Tim Churchill wrote:
> 1) Why does the installation of the Alsa drivers ask "Do you want to
> modify the configuration file?"?

You mean while running alsaconf?

> I felt that the natural answer was
> "No, I don't" because I expected the installation system to do that.

The standard Fedora Core 1 install configures the system to use OSS, not
ALSA. Thus the need to "modify the configuration file".

> After a week of messing around with only OSS I tried selecting "Yes"
> and found that it then did the configuration itself. I now understand
> the meaning behind the question, but I don't think it is at all
> obvious when new to the game.

Ok, I'll add something more explicit to the instructions to explain
this.

> 2) Is it possible to make XCD Roast burn audio CDs from wav files on
> the hard drive, and if so, how?
>
> 3) If the answer to question 2 is no, is there any reason that K3b
> cannot be used? I've looked back through the archive and can find no
> mention of it.

K3b can used, of course. I just have not had time to add it to the
repository. It comes with FC2, I think.

> 4) What sound card will give Linux drivers, and enable me to have
> SPDIF in and out with Analogue sound in and out and professional
> sound quality? It looks as if RME are the only business to give full
> support to Linux, but I have seen emails from people having trouble
> with even their cards. Are RME's Linux drivers reliable?

Yes. With a few caveats, most of the problems I've heard about are when
using the RME cards with laptops, the pcmcia chipset can be a problem.
Also, sometimes RME will release a new version of the card and it will
take a while for the new pci id to be supported by ALSA.

I have also used the PCI based Midiman cards with success (not the USB
ones). The Delta 66 has 4 line level i/o's and SP/DIF (no midi), I have
several OmniStudio's installed here at CCRMA (Delta 66 + OmniIO box,
which provides a small mixer and 2 mike preamps). The Delta 1010 has 8
analog i/o's, spdif and midi. Both can do 24/96.

> Many thanks for a Linux set up that actually works with sound.

I'm glad it is working for you!
-- Fernando