[PlanetCCRMA] RME versus Steinberg HDSP

mjnoble not8ohm@iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 11 11:22:01 2004

hi folks,

After tinkering for many a year I finally have some money to invest in a
new soundcard to get a dedicated linux audio machine up and running.  I
have been offered a Steinberg Nuendo HDSP 9652 card pretty cheap, but am
unsure if this will work play nice with the ALSA drivers for the
standard RME HDSP 9652.  As far as I can tell, the Steinberg card is
just a rebadged RME HDSP, but I can't be sure.  Can anyone on the list
verify this?  I searched the ALSA archives but didn't come up with
anything.  The following by Fernando got me worried there might be more
to it than simple rebadging;

>sometimes RME will release a new version of the card and it will
>take a while for the new pci id to be supported by ALSA.

although the steinberg website just directs visitors to the RME website
for PC and Mac drivers so again there can't be any major hardware
differences.  Anybody know anything more about the Steinberg cards?

cheers

Michael Noble