[PlanetCCRMA] jackd xruns problem: solved? (FC2 2.6.7rc4 O7 kernel)

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Aug 15 15:28:00 2004

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 06:14:02 -0700, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> Ok, Steve and other Fedora Core 2 bleeding edge users, I have the latest
> and greatest (as of yesterday, 2.6.8 final was released in between :-)
> over the fence. Has been tested to boot on all of two (2) machines, a P4
> latop and an Athlon64 desktop...

This kernel looks good.

I had to run everything as root, as I couldn't build network drivers for
this kernel and I couldn't remeber how to run the realtime lsm, but I got
an AMS, jack-rack (with 6 or 7 plugins) and a JAMin running at 256
samples, while doing some CPU and disk intensive non-realtime things and
without a single xrun. It was running for about an hour with me changing
things in the apps at random moments. I tested briefly at 128, but JAMin
wasn't happy running at 128, so I couldn't test with much load, and I dont
run that low for real anyway.

I also wasn't using the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL trick (I forgot), I'l try with
that tommorow.

I couple of times when I started up jackd I got the storm of "blah, blah
exceeded, restarting" messages when I connected the first client, but
oddly, quiting and restarting jackd git rid of them, so maybe theres a
race condition on some priority setting stuff?

- Steve :)