[PlanetCCRMA] Disabling internet services for single user?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Aug 19 06:03:01 2004

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 08:31:16 -0400, Benjamin Hardy wrote:
> I recently threw all my music files into a seperate user account from my
> normal user account. I'm doing this because in my normal account I run
> gnome with an active internet connection, but in my new account I am
> running xfce4 and want to disable internet services. I know that to do this
> I can either use redhat's services configuration app, netsysv or chkconfig.
> Yet, I'm not sure what service to stop; I'm guessing I can stop the xinetd
> process to accomplish this, yeah? If I stop the process manually or with a
> xinitrc script xfce uses when it starts up, will this still be in effect
> when I log in to my normal user account?
> Forgive me if this has been asked, I'm pretty fatigued from searching
> through google and this archive. Is there a good way to search through the
> archives with a search engine like google? I've tried doing searches like :
> "disable internet site:ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/" but
> I get no results no matter what I search for. Insight would be much
> appreciated.

If you want to shut down networking alltogether, just use

service network stop

If you want to stop the the servers on your machine you'l need to list
them indivdually, I'm afraid, eg:

for i in nfs sshd portmap sendmail mysqld httpd ntpd xinted; do
	service $i stop;
done

replace the list of services with whatever you use.

Another way to do it would be to claim an unused runlevel (eg. 4) and pick the
things you want on in that runlevel. runlevel 3 is usually machine running
all services, but without X, and 5 is with X.

Personally I dont bother though, network traffic doesnt seem to affect
relatime behaviour for me, but YMMV.

- Steve