[PlanetCCRMA] Help - zombification and such like!

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Aug 24 06:19:02 2004

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 01:58:35 +0100, cc26@ohm.york.ac.uk wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm having a problem with muse 0.6.3 and jack 0.98.  I know muse is now
> at 0.7, but the project I'm working on is in 6.3 and the problem is
> possibly jack related so someone might know how to fix it.
>
> Having added some audio parts to a mostly midi project, Muse almost
> invariably hangs when play is pressed.  It prints an error message in
> the terminal (something like jack: zombified - exiting).  I can't
> reproduce this now because of another problem.
>
> Other problem:  I changed the audio driver for muse to alsa, which
> allowed playback with no problems, but recording won't work now
> (everything comes in at the wrong pitch and sounding bad).  I try to
> change it back to jack, with the jackd started or not started, but when
> "apply" is clicked muse selects the "no audio" button instead. In other
> words I can't set the project back to jack, muse won't let me.

You probably have some other application using the ALSA device whihc is
stopping jackd from starting properly.

The Muse+jack problem is because muse is exceeding its realtime slot - you
proably need to increase the period size (frames/period in qjackctl). Also
make sure jackd is really running in realtime mode.

- Steve