[PlanetCCRMA] New User: FC1 Install (booting) Problems and possible solutions

Fri Aug 27 18:51:01 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 18:25, Louis Lam wrote:
> Disconnecting the SATA Drive allowed the ccrma kernel
> to boot up.
>
> I have the following in /etc/fstab
>
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3
>  defaults        1 1
> LABEL=/DeMuDi           /DeMuDi                 ext3
>  defaults        1 2
> /dev/sda1               /Music                  vfat
>  defaults        0 0
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts
>  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc
>  defaults        0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs
>  defaults        0 0
> /dev/hda5               swap                    swap
>  defaults        0 0
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom
> udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
>  noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
>
> Is there something I can do to influence the ccrma not
> to read hde?

Not AFAIK. "hde" (as far as I can tell) is the SATA disk (what is "sda"
for the original redhat kernel). The kernel must have some issue with
the driver for it, and is hanging when it detects it (what are the
messages printed on the screen immediately before the one that hangs?).
I don't think that the sda in /etc/fstab would be the problem because
apparently you are hanging early in the boot sequence (ie: before the
system tries to mount additional drives). You could try commenting out
the entry in /etc/fstab for sda.

There may be a kernel boot option to disable scanning the sata interface
but I don't know it. Or maybe there are boot options for things you can
change in the driver than handles the sata drives...

The only option I can see right now would be a newer kernel (2.4.27 is
out). I don't know when I'll have time to build it....

-- Fernando