[PlanetCCRMA] major cross-talk

R Parker rtp405@yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 07:57:29 2004

Hi Mike,

--- mike@banta.psyc.missouri.edu wrote:

> Simple setup..I make a loop with hydrogen, then send
> it to ardour via
> jack,
> and record it for a while.  But then, when I make a
> second track inputing
> from an audio in (pcm)

Is this alsa_pcm:capture_N?

 all the following tracks
> exibit the same dB
> level as the original drum track..of the drums!

Not sure if I understand this statement but two
scenarios come to mind; a user defined port,
ardour_trackname:capture_N, is recieving input from
previously recorded tracks or from a Ardour master
bus.

I don't think "crosstalk" is a possible because we
aren't dealing with a misaligned playback head for an
analog tape machine. The only way to get one track's
audio onto another track is with routing.

> It can't be hardware related, as hydrogen creates
> the track that's leaking
> into the other tracks, and no recorded audio seems
> to leak at all.  It's
> not a problem with the jack connections
> (e.g., I'm not sending the output of track 1 to the
> master in)..Has anyone
> had experience with this?

I'll try to explain this as I imagine it applies to
your session. The Ardour Master bus is for playback
monitoring and nothing else.

track1
track2   Ardour master bus to alsa_pcm:playback_1,2
track3

You use this setup to send recorded material to the
Master bus for playback.

When you add and record on a new track, its inputs
cannot include alsa_pcm:playback_1,2. The inputs for
the new track must be alsa_pcm:capture_N. With the
above example alsa_pcm:playback_1,2 has track1,2,3 as
a source so your new track will record those tracks in
addtion to the instrument that you are overdubbing.

If you simplify your routing thoughts to being nothing
but inputs and outputs, concieve of the routes that
are needed for the session, and then examine the
Ardour Route Parameter interface, I think you'll be
able to build a simple session that works as expected.

Well, it's hard to explain this stuff. If you IRC,
then visit freenode.net #ardour. Someone there will be
able to help you. Otherwise, keep sending emails until
we figure it out.

ron