[PlanetCCRMA] do I need all 5 CD to have a look at this distro.

Tue Dec 7 10:30:01 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 07:48, Ben Edwards wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 07:41:24 -0800, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ben,
> >   I'd recommend FC2. I believe I needed 3 CDs to get my most recent
> > machine built. FC2 is a bit more on the edge, but you get access to
> > 2.6 series kernels, newer glibc and gcc, etc. which I think it
> > valuable.
>
> The site says FC2 is not quite there yet.

FC2 itself is fine, the component that is still not completely stable
(by this I mean it may work great, but then again it may not) is the
kernel. For testing the water I'd say FC1...

You can download the first cd, do a desktop install (I think that's all
in the first cd) and then use the network for the rest. As long as you
are on a high speed link it should be fine.

> Also as far as I am aware
> 2.6 kernels are VERY bad for low latency.  What exactly are you
> running.  I am going to be using ardour/jamin and jack?

The latest 2.6.x kernels with the realtime latency patches by Ingo
Molnar are very good, it is just that in my experience they still not
work on all machines (just my experience, not many machines tested).

-- Fernando