[PlanetCCRMA] Removing apps after doing the audiovideo

Wed Dec 8 18:17:01 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 18:11, Dave Phillips wrote:
>   I typically use Synaptic to remove Planet C items I no longer want
> around, it's very easy for the most part. I do have a question for
> Fernando about removing things: Let's say I want to remove application
> DaBomb,

Which version??

> and I mark it for removal with Synaptic. However, Synaptic
> informs me that x number of other apps and/or utilities and/or libraries
> will also be removed, some of which may have obvious relevance for other
> applications.

I don't think that should happen. Synaptic knows about dependencies so
it should not remove anything that other applications need. That would
be a bug in Synaptic.

> Now, can I safely remove DaBomb, or will I indeed be left
> without those other components, requiring their re-installation, or does
> the system know to re-install them?

Synaptic should not remove anything that's needed by other packages.

> Like Mark, there are some
> components I'd like to dump, but I'm a bit nervous about losing track of
> things. For instance, I'd like to upgrade to the latest JACK in order to
> test some new things in Ardour, but I'm pretty sure Synaptic is going to
> tell me that I'll have to dump a long list of other items if I want to
> remove Planet C's JACK.

Ah, that is different. You can't really remove a component that is
needed by other components (so that you can install your own by hand).
Synaptic won't let you without first erasing all the packages that
depend on it (to keep the dependencies fine). In the case of Jack a fair
number of them...

So we go back to the first question, which version of DaBomb?
:-)
-- Fernando