[PlanetCCRMA] fc3: kernel update

Aaron Heller heller@AI.SRI.COM
Tue Dec 28 20:16:01 2004

--On Tuesday, December 28, 2004 12:54 -0800 jonathan segel
<jsegel@magneticmotorworks.com> wrote:

> hey all, i've just come back home and decided to upgrade my desktop ccrma
> machine to fc3 (for various reasons...)
> but i seem to have lost the ability to start gnome...? it just won't show
> up in GDM etc.

The FC3 release notes discuss some issues with Gnome

>From http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc3/x86/

    o There have been issues observed when upgrading Red Hat Linux 7.<x>,
       8.0, 9, and Fedora Core 1 systems running Ximian GNOME. The issue is
       caused by version overlap between the official Red Hat Linux RPMs (or
       the ones from the Fedora Project) and the Ximian RPMs. This
       configuration is not supported. You have several choices in resolving
       this issue:

       1) You may remove Ximian GNOME from your system prior to upgrading to
       Fedora Core.

       2) You may upgrade your system, and then immediately reinstall Ximian
       GNOME.

       3) You may upgrade your system, and then immediately remove all
       remaining Ximian RPMs, replacing them with the corresponding Fedora
       Core RPMs.

       You must resolve the version overlap using one of the above choices.
       Failure to do so will result in an unstable GNOME configuration.