[PlanetCCRMA] fc3: kernel update

Wed Dec 29 10:47:01 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 07:41, Janina Sajka wrote:
> OK, a brief report ...
>
> I have 2.6.9-2.2.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma installed (via apt-get) and running
> without incident. This time, the initrd was correctly built by rpm and
> there appear to be no issues with basic Fedora services also running on
> this box.
>
> A couple of wierdnesses noted so far:
>
> 1.) aplay and alsaplayer don't work. They attempt to play, but repeat an
> approx 200 ms segment of the file in a loop. Fernando, before installing
> these FC3 kernels, I was running these apps OK with alsa 1.0.8RC1, FYI.
>
> 2.)	mplayer isn't having this problem. It sounds and behaves well.
>
> 3.)	jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100 &
>
> complains it can't get realtime capibilities and aborts via jackd
> watchdog. Indeed, rtload won't, reporting failure.

"rtload won't" means rtload won't start? What happens if you try to stop
and then start it explicitly (as root)?

  /etc/rc.d/init.d/rtload stop
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/rtload start

Or try to load the module explicitly: /sbin/modprobe realtime any=1

The module should be found, it is part of the kernel I shipped. If it is
not there double check you are indeed booting into the new kernel (uname
-r).

> Dropping -R gets jack to load, but pops up the following from time to time:
>
> ALSA: poll time out, polled for 34822515 usecs
>
> I'm too inexperienced to have a clue about that.

Hmmm, sounds like an alsa problem.

> Attempts to play something:
>
> 'aplay -D jackplug file.wav' yields:
>
> ALSA lib pcm.c:1944:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library
> /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_jack.so
> aplay: main:508: audio open error: No such file or directory
>
> Indeed, there's not even an /usr/lib/alsa-lib/ directory. How is that
> possible?

You need to install the alsa jack plugin (I have never tried to use it
so I don't know if it will work at all):

  apt-get install alsa-lib-jack-plugin

> One other question:
>
> When doing apt-get dist-upgrade, I'm offered over 200 programs to be
> removed and about 3 to be installed. I'm reluctant to do that as this
> particular machine serves other functions. Is this usual?

No, it is not usual, please don't say "yes" to the prompt till we find
out why this is happening.

> I'm not 100%
> FC kosher, but I don't think I've strayed that far, but perhaps I have.

There is some conflict between the packages you have installed and the
Planet CCRMA ones that apt cannot really resolve (without messing up
your machine!).

What are the packages it wants to install? Try installing each one of
them explicitly to see what is the effect. We have to track which
dependency is currently triggering this problem.

> I could do a separate disk installation just for testing if you'd advise
> that.
>
> PS: Hardware here is Opteron 248 on a Tyan board driving a Multiface via
> PCI. Installation is FC3 i386. The FC3 x86_64 installation on another
> disk still won't get any sound from the Multiface.

Interesting, I'm getting a dual opteron tyan board for the new Planet
CCRMA build server. Still waiting for the processors to get here....

-- Fernando