[PlanetCCRMA] fc3: kernel update

Janina Sajka janina@rednote.net
Wed Dec 29 11:50:01 2004

Hi, Fernando:

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano writes:
> On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 07:41, Janina Sajka wrote:
> > OK, a brief report ...

> > 3.)	jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100 &
> >
> > complains it can't get realtime capibilities and aborts via jackd
> > watchdog. Indeed, rtload won't, reporting failure.
>
> "rtload won't" means rtload won't start? What happens if you try to stop
> and then start it explicitly (as root)?
>
>   /etc/rc.d/init.d/rtload stop
>   /etc/rc.d/init.d/rtload start
>
> Or try to load the module explicitly: /sbin/modprobe realtime any=1

Fascinating. As I'm not looking at a monitor, my report is based on what
I hear from my talking interface. It definitely says "failed failed
failed." However, while going to clipboard that into this email for you,
I saw no such thing. So, here's from /var/log/messages. It seems the
explicit modprobe load might actually it, not sure about the script, the
result in messages is different:

Dec 29 14:05:27 concerto rtload: rtload: rmmod is not installed failed
Dec 29 14:05:27 concerto kernel: Realtime Capability LSM exiting
Dec 29 14:05:27 concerto rtload:  succeeded
Dec 29 14:06:06 concerto rtload: rtload: modprobe is not installed
failed
Dec 29 14:06:06 concerto rtload: rtload: modinfo is not installed failed
Dec 29 14:06:06 concerto rtload: rtload: lsmod is not installed failed
Dec 29 14:06:06 concerto rtload: rtload: rmmod is not installed failed
Dec 29 14:06:06 concerto kernel: selinux_register_security:  Registering
secondary module realtime
Dec 29 14:06:06 concerto rtload:  succeeded
Dec 29 14:06:06 concerto kernel: Realtime LSM initialized (all groups,
mlock=1)
So, I'm not sure what the failures are, but lsmod definitely lists the
module:

#lsmod |grep realtime
realtime                5128  0
commoncap               8192  1 realtime
[root@concerto 14:20:58] ~#

jackstart still complaines realtime capibilities are missing, though.
And, doing:

#service rtload status
Realtime kernel module is loaded, current parameters are:  [FAILED]
 any=1; gid=-1; mlock=1

>From time to time, I get the following in the console:

Message from syslogd@concerto at Wed Dec 29 14:28:43 2004 ...
concerto kernel: Disabling IRQ #16

service alsasound start
Starting sound driver snd-hdsp                             [  OK  ]
Starting sequencer                                         [  OK  ]
Starting sequencer driver snd-seq-midi                     [  OK  ]
Restoring sound driver settings /usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1134: No
soundcards found...
                                                           [FAILED]
[root@concerto 14:42:55] ~#
Message from syslogd@concerto at Wed Dec 29 14:42:56 2004 ...
concerto kernel: Disabling IRQ #16

My next steps are hdsploader, hdspconf, and hdspmixer, after which I get
sound--even though the last two can't open the GUI sessions they want.

HTH.

Thanks, Fernando.
				Janina

--

				Janina Sajka, Chair
				Accessibility Workgroup

janina@freestandards.org	Phone: +1 202.494.7040

If Linux doesn't solve your computing problem, you need a different problem.