[PlanetCCRMA] fc3: kernel update

Janina Sajka janina@rednote.net
Wed Dec 29 12:36:00 2004

Hello Again, Fernando:

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano writes:
> On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 07:41, Janina Sajka wrote:
>
> > One other question:
> >
> > When doing apt-get dist-upgrade, I'm offered over 200 programs to be
> > removed and about 3 to be installed. I'm reluctant to do that as this
> > particular machine serves other functions. Is this usual?
>
> No, it is not usual, please don't say "yes" to the prompt till we find
> out why this is happening.
>
> > I'm not 100%
> > FC kosher, but I don't think I've strayed that far, but perhaps I have.
>
> There is some conflict between the packages you have installed and the
> Planet CCRMA ones that apt cannot really resolve (without messing up
> your machine!).
>
> What are the packages it wants to install? Try installing each one of
> them explicitly to see what is the effect. We have to track which
> dependency is currently triggering this problem.

The problems are dev and modutils. See below.

OK. Here we go:

apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REPLACED:
  kinput2 (by kinput2-canna-wnn6)
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  NetworkManager NetworkManager-gnome abiword anaconda balsa bug-buddy
control-center dasher desktop-printing devhelp devhelp-devel dia eel2
eel2-devel eog
  epiphany ethereal ethereal-gnome evolution evolution-connector
evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-devel evolution-devel
evolution-webcal
  file-roller firefox firstboot freeradius freeradius-mysql
freeradius-postgresql freeradius-unixODBC gaim gconf-editor gdm gedit
gedit-devel ggv gimp
  gimp-data-extras gimp-devel gimp-gap gimp-help gimp-print-plugin
glade2 gnome-applets gnome-bluetooth gnome-desktop gnome-desktop-devel
gnome-games
  gnome-keyring-manager gnome-media gnome-netstatus gnome-nettool
gnome-panel gnome-panel-devel gnome-pilot gnome-pilot-conduits
gnome-pilot-devel
  gnome-python2 gnome-python2-applet gnome-python2-bonobo
gnome-python2-canvas gnome-python2-gconf gnome-python2-gnomeprint
gnome-python2-gnomevfs
  gnome-python2-gtkhtml2 gnome-python2-nautilus gnome-session
gnome-spell gnome-system-monitor gnome-terminal gnome-utils gnome-vfs2
gnome-vfs2-devel
  gnome-vfs2-smb gnome-volume-manager gnomemeeting gnopernicus gnumeric
gnumeric-devel gok gok-devel gpdf grip gstreamer-plugins
gstreamer-plugins-devel
  gthumb gtkhtml2 gtkhtml2-devel gtkhtml3 gtkhtml3-devel hal
hal-cups-utils hal-devel hal-gnome hpoj hpoj-devel hwbrowser
iiimf-gnome-im-switcher kdeaddons
  kdeaddons-atlantikdesigner kdeaddons-xmms kdeadmin kdeartwork
kdeartwork-icons kdebase kdebase-devel kdebindings kdebindings-devel
kdeedu kdeedu-devel
  kdegames kdegames-devel kdegraphics kdegraphics-devel kdemultimedia
kdemultimedia-devel kdenetwork kdenetwork-devel kdenetwork-nowlistening
kdepim
  kdepim-devel kdesdk kdesdk-devel kdetoys kdeutils kdeutils-devel
kdevelop kdewebdev kdewebdev-devel kernel-utils koffice koffice-devel
koffice-i18n
  krb5-auth-dialog kudzu libbonoboui libbonoboui-devel libcroco-devel
libgail-gnome libgal2 libgal2-devel libgnome libgnome-devel libgnomedb
libgnomedb-devel
  libgnomeui libgnomeui-devel libgsf libgsf-devel librsvg2
librsvg2-devel libsane-hpoj libwpd libwpd-devel libwpd-tools linuxwacom
linuxwacom-devel lm_sensors
  lm_sensors-devel memprof module-init-tools mozilla mozilla-chat
mozilla-devel mozilla-dom-inspector mozilla-js-debugger mozilla-mail
nautilus
  nautilus-cd-burner nautilus-cd-burner-devel nautilus-media net-snmp
net-snmp-devel net-snmp-perl net-snmp-utils openoffice.org
openoffice.org-i18n
  openoffice.org-kde openoffice.org-libs pcmcia-cs planner rhn-applet
rhythmbox sound-juicer system-config-bind system-config-display
system-config-httpd
  system-config-mouse system-config-netboot system-config-network
system-config-network-tui system-config-packages
system-config-printer-gui
  system-config-soundcard thunderbird totem tsclient udev up2date-gnome
vino xojpanel xsane-gimp yelp
  Wnn6-SDK dev kinput2-canna-wnn6 modutils
0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 1 replaced, 204 removed and 0 not
upgraded.
Need to get 4701kB of archives.
After unpacking 1870MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
[root@concerto 14:56:37] ~#

So, taking them one at a time:

Wnn6-SDK  simply installs.

apt-get install kinput2-canna-wnn6
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REPLACED:
  kinput2 (by kinput2-canna-wnn6)
  kinput2-canna-wnn6
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 replaced, 0 removed and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 216kB of archives.
After unpacking 25.0kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

As I don't do Japanese, I have no problem here. But the last two have
got to go! In reverse order:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  module-init-tools
  modutils
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 removed and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 614kB of archives.
After unpacking 878kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
[root@concerto 15:31:45] ~#

ModuleInitTools is even up to 3.0. So, welcome to FC3! <grin>

And, now the real stinker:

  dev
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 203 removed and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 3775kB of archives.
After unpacking 1872MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
[root@concerto 15:01:13] ~#

Of course, we're now on udev.