[PlanetCCRMA] fc3: kernel update

Wed Dec 29 12:04:02 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 11:49, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Fernando Lopez-Lezcano writes:
> > On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 07:41, Janina Sajka wrote:
> > > OK, a brief report ...

> > > 3.)	jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100 &
> > >
> > > complains it can't get realtime capibilities and aborts via jackd
> > > watchdog. Indeed, rtload won't, reporting failure.
> >
> > "rtload won't" means rtload won't start? What happens if you try to stop
> > and then start it explicitly (as root)?
> >
> >   /etc/rc.d/init.d/rtload stop
> >   /etc/rc.d/init.d/rtload start
> >
> > Or try to load the module explicitly: /sbin/modprobe realtime any=1
>
> Fascinating. As I'm not looking at a monitor, my report is based on what
> I hear from my talking interface. It definitely says "failed failed
> failed." However, while going to clipboard that into this email for you,
> I saw no such thing. So, here's from /var/log/messages. It seems the
> explicit modprobe load might actually it, not sure about the script, the
> result in messages is different:
>
> Dec 29 14:05:27 concerto rtload: rtload: rmmod is not installed failed
> Dec 29 14:05:27 concerto kernel: Realtime Capability LSM exiting
> Dec 29 14:05:27 concerto rtload:  succeeded
> Dec 29 14:06:06 concerto rtload: rtload: modprobe is not installed
> failed
> Dec 29 14:06:06 concerto rtload: rtload: modinfo is not installed failed
> Dec 29 14:06:06 concerto rtload: rtload: lsmod is not installed failed
> Dec 29 14:06:06 concerto rtload: rtload: rmmod is not installed failed
> Dec 29 14:06:06 concerto kernel: selinux_register_security:  Registering
> secondary module realtime
> Dec 29 14:06:06 concerto rtload:  succeeded
> Dec 29 14:06:06 concerto kernel: Realtime LSM initialized (all groups,
> mlock=1)
> So, I'm not sure what the failures are, but lsmod definitely lists the
> module:
>
> #lsmod |grep realtime
> realtime                5128  0
> commoncap               8192  1 realtime
> [root@concerto 14:20:58] ~#

Wow, weird! It would seem that you don't have the module-init-tools
package installed, but that also contains /sbin/lsmod, which appears to
be working in your case, so you have to have it.

See if you have /sbin/modprobe, for example:
  ls -l /sbin/modprobe
Or check to see if the package is installed:
  rpm -q module-init-tools
Puzzling! I don't understand what is happening...

> jackstart still complaines realtime capibilities are missing, though.

If you have realtime loaded then it is normal that jackstart complains.
It will run with realtime, though. You can use jackd directly if you are
using the realtime module, it should work and not complain at all.

> And, doing:
>
> #service rtload status
> Realtime kernel module is loaded, current parameters are:  [FAILED]
>  any=1; gid=-1; mlock=1
>
> >From time to time, I get the following in the console:
>
> Message from syslogd@concerto at Wed Dec 29 14:28:43 2004 ...
> concerto kernel: Disabling IRQ #16

Check what is using IRQ 16 with:
  cat /proc/interrupts
If it is the soundcard then it is unlikely this kernel will work at all
for sound. Most probably you will find more related messages in
/var/log/messages.

-- Fernando