[PlanetCCRMA] added: even _more_ kernels; updated: rtload

Fri Dec 31 10:09:02 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 00:28, Shayne O'Connor wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 08:11, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > An "apt-get update", "apt-get dist-upgrade" will automatically take you
> > (assuming you have the planetccrma-core-* package installed) to the
> > safer 2.6.10 based kernel. This is the "stable" kernel so you should not
> > have problems booting your machine. I would not bet on that, of course
> > :-) The performance of this kernel is terms of low latency is definitely
> > not as good as the more risky kernel based on 2.6.9-rc3-mm1 and Ingo's
> > patches, but it should work fine on more hardware.
> > For those of you that are in a position to boot into the rdt kernels
> > with no problems,
>
> does this mean that the 2.6.9 kernel is the better option if that indeed
> works on my machine (which it does quite well)
> .... both kernels seem to run okay on my system - which would be better
> to test (ie - which one has the likeliest future?)

The 2.6.9 (actually 2.6.0-rc3-mm1 + r0.7.33-04) is the one that is going
to give you the best low latency performance. I expect this one to keep
evolving as soon as Ingo gets back from vacation. Hopefully a patch for
2.6.10 will happen at some point.

-- Fernando