[PlanetCCRMA] qjackctl (was: xmms-jack 0.7)

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc@rncbc.org
Thu Feb 5 13:05:02 2004

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano:

> BTW, as I have you "online", I have a suggestion (I bet you have tons)
> for qjackctl. Would it be possible to have something you could use like
> this:
>
>    qjackctl ardour
>
> If qjackctl (and jack inside it) is already running just exec ardour, if
> not start qjackctl and the jack server and _then_ exec ardour :-)
>
> Or maybe a separate small program?
>   qjackctl-client ardour
> (same semantics).

Nice feature, I like it :) I'll just add a few notes, only to see IIUC:

Whenever jackd is already started, the command line argument it's executed
(e.g. ardour) but qjackctl bails out immediately after that. The default
behaviour has been entering in client-only mode, which still does if no
argument is given. This way one avoids having several GUI instances for
qjackctl, if your wish is to wrap jackd pre-activation for just-in-time
desktop jack applications ;)

In all occasions when such an argument is present, the -s/--server
command-line option is implied, therefore qjackctl and jackd are
immediately started and only after that the given argument will be
spawned. In this case, qjackctl shows up as usual.

Any votes?
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@rncbc.org