[PlanetCCRMA] qjackctl (was: xmms-jack 0.7)

kevin ernste kevine@esm.rochester.edu
Thu Feb 5 13:15:02 2004

> for qjackctl. Would it be possible to have something you could use
> like
> this:
>
>    qjackctl ardour
>
> If qjackctl (and jack inside it) is already running just exec ardour,
> if
> not start qjackctl and the jack server and _then_ exec ardour :-)
>
> Or maybe a separate small program?
>   qjackctl-client ardour

While you're asking this, would it be possible/desireable to simply do
the execution from _within_ qjackctl, say with a drop-down menu of
available jack clients?  In other words, are there plans to make the
whole "client as plugin" model more explicit by simply launching jack
client apps as needed from within a central server/controller (I
suppose this is something rolled into the LADCCA project but not yet
implemented)?  After all, many clients are functionless without jack
running, making there presence individually in a GNOME/KDE menu
somewhat confusing.

My students frequently inform me that such-and-such app is broken, only
to have me tell them that it was a jack-only tool they were trying to
use.  I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but I have come to
really like qjackctl and would love to see it become even more central.

Kevin