[PlanetCCRMA] pd alsa jack midi

Tim Moody timmoody@sympatico.ca
Sun Feb 8 12:40:47 2004

Using pd was a major motivation to install ccrma, but I'm having some
difficulties getting started.  The ccrma on rhfc1 install should be up to
date as I did an upgrade several days ago.

I start pd with either -jack or -alsa (I've tried both) and no other
command line arguments.  I start jack with jackstart -R -d alsa -d
hw.  Card is SBlive with front ports (live drive).

No Midi

pd doesn't seem to see any midi devices.  Both jack and alsa patch bays
report raw midi i/o (emu10k1 mpu), and wave table midi output (emu10k1 wave
table ports 0 - 3).  Before I reinstalled everything, the oss drivers could
see the front panel midi ports.

Fluid

fluidsynth <soundfont file> work and a noteon 1 60 120 command results in
middle c sounding in a piano voice.  However a patch in pd connected to
fluid~ sending the same message produces no sound.

What I really wanted to do

What I am really looking for is functionality like Max which allows you to
play multiple midi sequences and merge incoming midi with the events in the
midi file.

Thanks for any help,
Tim