[PlanetCCRMA] issues starting jack as root

Tim Currie tim@algernonsystems.com
Mon Feb 9 10:40:03 2004

>> > So, anyway... Now on to the next stupid question: Why won't either
>> of my  hardware synths work? As I mentoned, I have two sound cards:
>> >
>> > 02:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97]
>> (rev 08)
>
> This one for sure does not an onboard hardware synth...

Ooops! You're right. I found an old article on  sound cards and the
reviewer mentioned that the card doesn't really have a synth; it was
wholly a function of the Windows drivers. Eeeew!

>> > 02:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24
>> [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)
>
> This one I'm not sure but I doubt it has one.

This card is actually a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. Here is a snippet direct
from Turtle Beach's web site:

 - MIDI Wavetable Synthesis:
 - 8MB DLS synthesizer with scalable DSP/Host load sharing.
 - Up to 64-voice hardware polyphony with more than 1,000 software voices
 - (limited by host CPU.) MIDI controls reverb, chorus, volume, envelope,
 - pitch shift, tremolo and vibrato.

None of that means anything in particular to me, but it certainly sounds
like it's got a synthesizer built-in.

Thanks again,

-Tim