[PlanetCCRMA] m-audio Delta 1010

Aaron Heller heller@ai.sri.com
Tue Feb 10 13:50:02 2004

Aaron Heller wrote:

> Does anyone here use a Delta1010?   I just upgraded from a Delta66 to
> the 1010 and am getting a lot of noise on the analog capture inputs at
> 88.2 and 96kHz sample rates -- about -30dBfs (should be -100dBfs).  The
> Delta66 worked flawlessly.  This is not a click, pop, dropped sample,
> xrun problem, but just white (or maybe pink) noise mixed in with the
> signal, which is otherwise clean and undistorted.  In fact, you can hear
> it just by routing the capture inputs to the outputs with envy24control,
> so the audio never moves off the board.

I am happy to report that this problem has been fixed in alsa-driver-1.0.2c!  The Delta 1010 appears to be fully functional with ALSA.

The cause was that the function that sets the "double-rate bit" (DFS) was dropped from ALSA sometime around the 0.9 release.  (I suspect it was when coded as added to support the 1010LT.  Despite the similar names, they are quite different internally.)

For those with an immediate need for this fix, all I had to do was download alsa-driver-1.0.2c and do a ./configure, make, make install, and reboot.  I'm using the 2.4.24-1.ll.rh90.ccrma kernel.  I have not tried this on any of the other kernels.

I did need the kernel sources to do the compilation and you have to make sure you use the same version of gcc as was used to compile the kernel.  Also, I made a back up of /lib/modules/2.4.24-1.ll.rh90.ccrma/kernel/sound so I could back out if necessary.  (I hope I haven't screwed up apt in the process).

(After trying here, then alsa-users, and then alsa-developers, finally at Fernando suggestion, I wrote directly to Jaroslav who sent me a patch for 1.0.1 to try.  That code was then integrated in to 1.0.2.  I gather they the alsa project now has an online bug tracking system.)

Aaron Heller <heller@ai.sri.com>
Menlo Park, CA USA