[PlanetCCRMA] .desktop files startup notification

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Feb 16 14:20:02 2004

Just a quick note. I just found out how the startup notification in gnome
and KDE works you just add the window manager class to the .desktop file,
eg:

StartupWMClass=Ardour

Which makes the pointer be busy until the 1st window is mapped. You can
find the classes by running  xprop | grep WM_CLASS  and clicking on the
window of the app you want to wait for.

For GTK2 apps (eg. JAMin) you can just use StartupNotify=true which waits
for some standard X message. Probably works with new Qt apps too.

Fernando: if theres a convienient way for me to get diffs to you for the
planet .desktop files I'll be happy to.

- Steve