[PlanetCCRMA] Error trying to install planetccrma-audiovideoapps

Mon Feb 16 11:10:02 2004

> I get a bunch of stuff like this:
>
>    file /usr/share/man/de/man1/mencoder.1.gz conflicts between attempted
>    installs of mplayer-common-0.90rc2-1 and mplayer-1.0-0.2.pre2.fr
>
> I un-installed mplayer to try to solve this but then I noticed that what
> it's actually complaining about (I think) is a version conflict among
> the packages it's trying to install.
>
>    Which brings me to the next question: when I initially installed
> mplayer using synaptic a few weeks ago, I had one hell of a hard time
> getting it to install. Why are there two (fundamentally incompatible, to
> all appearances) versions of the same thing in the repository?

In the repositories, not repository. It looks like you have freshrpms in
sources.list as well as Planet CCRMA, and the mplayer packages from
freshrpms (much newer) somehow conflict with the version (much older) in
Planet CCRMA. So it is an inter-repository conflict.

> Granted,
> if you futz around with it for a bit you can get one complete set
> installed and working, but considering how seamless and fluid everything
> else in the repository is, that's kind of a black eye on the whole thing.
>
>    Anyway, rant=off. So, how do I get around this problem?

You probably want the newer mplayer version. The problem (I just
checked) is that the naming and organization of the mplayer packages has
changed in Freshrpms. There is now only one font package (instead of
three) and all skins are in one package as well.

The problem are the dependencies of planetccrma-audiovideoapps, which
name those extra packages explicitly, but they do not exist in the newer
version of mplayer. So apt tries to install the newer version and part
of the older version (to satisfy the dependencies) and hits a conflict.

I'm afraid the only option is to install the video applications manually
(as opposed to using the meta package).

You can get a list of everything required (minus mplayer) by doing
this). First get the raw list of packages:
wget http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt/packages/audiovideo_9
Create a new list that has everything but mplayer/mencoder
  cat audiovideo_9|grep -v mplayer|grep -v mencoder>videolist
Try to install that:
  apt-get install `cat videolist`

-- Fernando